Creamy, savory, cheesy, necessary. No raw food toolbox is complete without a cashew cheese recipe. Easy Cashew Cheese is an excellent alternative to dairy-based cheeses and goes great on your raw wraps, pizzas, flax crackers and salads. Plus Easy Cashew Cheese is loaded with enzymes, minerals and, unlike dairy-based cheeses, contains zero cholesterol. Are your raw dishes missing that creamy something? Fill that void with Easy Cashew Cheese! Made from raw, organic cashews, Easy Cashew Cheese is a huge hit among those looking for healthy alternatives to dairy.
Basically we will soak the cashews, blend everything together and then hang the cheese in a nut milk bag and allow it to ferment. Here we go.
- Place the cashews in a jar or bowl, cover with pure water and soak overnight.
- Pour out cashew soak water and place cashews in your Vita-Mix (or food processor).
- Add salt, lemon juice and 1 cup of pure water to the cashews and blend/process until smooth.
- Pour blended ingredients into your nut milk bag and suspend over a bowl (see photo below).
- Allow Cashew Cheese to ferment for up to 24 hrs (12 hrs in warmer climates).
- Place your cheese in a bowl and refrigerate for a couple hours to stop further fermentation.
Your Cashew Cheese is ready to enjoy. This makes about 3 cups of cheese. Refrigerate what you don’t use, it should last 5-7 days.
(image source http://thekarmickitchen.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html)