Certified Organic Peruvian Olives
This is as close as you can get to eating ripe olives from under the tree. Our Peruvian Olives are one of the few varieties of olives that can be eaten without being cured. They are simply picked when ripe and contain no added salt, no oil, and no herbs. It does not get any purer than this! Each olive is nearly the size of a prune with thick, juicy, tasty, savory olive flesh. Technically a fruit, our delectable Peruvian olives are packed with nutrition and have vitamins A and E, calcium, iron, and beautifying oleic acid, a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
The Sunfood Difference
Did you know that most olives are picked long before they are truly ripe and can even be softened with chemicals such as lye? Some olives are artificially darkened with an iron compound called ferrous gluconate, and all canned olives are pasteurized (cooked). Free of added salt, our certified organic, ripe Peruvian olives are simply hand-selected, sun-dried and vacuum sealed in glass for a unique, pure olive flavor.
For further reading, check out this article:
Your Favorite Kitchen Staple & More!
Peruvian Olives have:
Vitamin A which may contribute to healthy immunity, vision, bone health and cell integrity
Vitamin E which may function as an antioxidant as well as contribute to healthy immunity and heart health
Calcium which may assist in supporting strong bones
Compared to regular cured olives, our uncured Peruvian Olives have a natural bitterness, indicating their healthfulness. If the bitter flavor is new to your palate, begin with one olive a day. Once you acquire a taste for them, they are quite enjoyable! Add them to your favorite recipes or eat straight out of the jar. No salad is complete without olives. Pit them, chop them up and sprinkle them on your greens - delicious! At Sunfood we like to use olives as the "meat" of many dishes. The texture of olives is very satisfying and great for helping to get that "full" feeling.
Certified organic raw Peruvian dried olives
|Specifications||Non-GMO Project Verified, Organic, CCOF, Raw, Vegan, Kosher, Sustainably-grown|
|Storage||Reseal jar after opening. Store in a cool, dry place.|
In nature, high nutrition is often accompanied by more pronounced and bitter flavors. Here are some ideas to mellow out the initial "bite" you may experience. Soaking in water significantly reduces bitterness.
1. Soaked olives: Fill up olive jar with pure water. If desired, add 1/2 tsp Kalahari Desert Salt to jar. Olives become silky-soft after 3 days. Store in refrigerator.
2. Marinated olives: Soak olives as above, drain, rinse again, drain well. Fill with garlic butter (Mix 3/4 cup stone-crushed organic olive oil with 2 Tbsp coconut butter(liquid) and 2 tbsp diced garlic). Store marinated olives in refrigerator.
3. Herbed garlic butter: Add to garlic butter: 1/2 Tbsp rosemary, 1 Tbsp thyme, 1 Tbsp oregano (preferably fresh, dry also works). You may add any other herbs of your choice.
4. For a spicier treat, fill a jar of Peruvian Olives with the brine from our Moroccan Olives. Let them marinate for three days and then enjoy olives like you've never imagined.
5. Marinara sauce: 1/2 cup soaked sun dried tomatoes, 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp celtic salt, 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil, 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary, 1 Tbsp dried oregano, 3 pitted Khadrawy dates, 1/2 cup stone crushed olives oil, 6 soaked pitted Peruvian olives. Blend all till smooth. Enjoy over raw zucchini pasta.
HINT: Although the garlic butter can be reused to marinate more soaked olives, it is recommended to consume as an amazing herb sauce on salad or pasta. Also, a great Creamy Italian dressing may be created by adding the juice of two lemons and a pinch of Kalahari Desert Salt to the garlic butter. For an even creamier sauce, mash in half an avocado to the Italian dressing. DELICIOUS!!
- My favorite olive! Review by Robanjo
- Endless Possibilities Review by T_uhwerp
- Peruvian Olives Review by Shanel
THANK YOU Sunfoods!! (Posted on 10/2/13)
- Interesting Review by Vicktoria
- awesome Review by Jeff
- wow Review by Elizabeth
- Awesome! Review by Eric
The added bonus is that these are THE most exquisite olives I've ever had! They are on the bitter side but what a treat! (Posted on 7/18/12)
- Perfect. Review by Michelle