Nothing beats a (veggie) burger with all the fixins on a hot summer day. The problem is that store bought ones tend to have additives and preservatives and a lot of the homemade ones seem to fall apart. Finally, a healthy, whole food veggie burger that tastes amazing and actually holds its form. Loaded with quinoa, beans, almonds, veggies, herbs and spices, it’s delicious and good for you. Watch out; you might come back for seconds!
Makes 10-11 patties
- 1/2 cup Tri-Color Quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 – 15oz can of beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely diced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup whole oat flour (you can blend dry rolled oats and make your own!)
- 1/4 cup ground almonds (Toss Sunfood Almonds in a coffee grinder and presto!)
- 1 flax egg (1 Tbsp flax meal + 3 Tbsp water)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan Pink Salt, or to taste
- Botija Olive Oil, to grease baking pan
Create flax mixture and set aside. Bring quinoa, thyme, oregano, marjoram and water to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until liquid is fully absorbed. While the quinoa is cooking, mash half the beans for texture and chop veggies.
When the quinoa is done, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix beans, garlic, onion, pepper, mushrooms, lemon juice and mustard into the cooked quinoa. Then mix in flour, ground almonds, and flax meal.
Lastly mix in the smoked paprika and salt to taste. Scoop and form into patties on a pan lightly coated with olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, remove and flip the burgers. Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes. Add to buns of choice with your favorite burger fixins. Enjoy!