by Wendy Rudell, author of Raw TransformationTry a twist on holiday tradition with this delicious and healthy raw pumpkin pie recipe.
|Heirloom Almonds||Whole Cashews||Raw Honey|
Raw Pumpkin Pie #2
- 2 cups almonds, soaked and dehydrated 2 hours
- 1 cup Medjool dates, soaked 1 hour to soften
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Date soaking water if necessary
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 - 1 ½ cups dates, soaked 1 hour
- ¼ cup raisins, soaked 1 hour
- ½ cup cashews, soaked 4 hours
- 2 persimmons, peeled*
- 2 sapotes**
- ½ - 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 - 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- Raisin or date soaking water
- 3 Tbs psyllium
- Dash of Celtic sea salt
- Macadamia Nut Cream Frosting
- 1 ½ cups macadamia nuts or cashews, soaked overnight
- ½ cup fresh orange juice, papaya juice, or coconut water
- ¼ cup agave syrup or honey
- 1 tsp almond extract
- To Make the Crust:
- Place almonds in food processor and process until mealy.
- Slowly add in dates, water, vanilla, and cinnamon to form a dough consistency.
- Pat into a glass pie plate so that crust is at least ¼ inch thick.
- To Make the Filling:
- Put peeled and chopped pumpkin through the Champion juicer with the blank in place.
- Then run the dates, raisins, and nuts through the Champion juicer, again with the blank attachment.
- Combine the two then add the mixture to the Vita-Mix, along with the remaining ingredients (except for the psyllium husks).
- Use just enough soaked raisin water to keep the blades turning.
- Remove mixture to a larger bowl and stir in psyllium husks. This will help to firm the pie so that it slices neatly.
- Scoop mixture into the crust and chill 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with Macadamia Nut Cream Frosting.
- To Make the Frosting:
- Blend all ingredients in the Vita-Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Top pie and serve chilled.
*If you are having trouble finding persimmons, try substituting mango or apple. ** If you are having trouble finding sapotes, try substituting banana or young coconut. All recipes are from Raw Transformation, courtesy of of author, Wendy Rudell.