We love ourselves some Mac & Cheese! Don't you? Any time of year, any time of day. Yes, please! For this recipe we partnered with
The only vegan mac and cheese recipe you will ever need! This dish is made with simple plant-based ingredients and will be a hit with any vegan or non-vegan you serve it to!
This vegan mac and cheese definitely stole our heart. For one thing, it is SO easy to make and I can have dinner ready in just 30 minutes. Secondly, it requires simple plant-based ingredients that we usually have on hand at home. It basically can become a mac-&-cheese kind of night every night if we really let it be!
To enhance the flavor of the "cheesy" part of the recipe, we used Turmeric Powder. Not only it brightens up the taste, it shines with numerous health benefits. Turmeric is rich in Curcumin - an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant that may improve joint health & mobility.
Shop the Recipe
|Organic Turmeric Powder||Raw Organic Whole Cashews||Raw Organic Shelled Hemp Seeds|
Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese (Oil Free)
- 1 cup Sunfood raw cashews
- 1 lb. elbow (macaroni) noodles, gluten-free as needed
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/2 large or 1 cup steamed russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, only if the sauce is thin
- 1/2 teaspoon Sunfood turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup carrots, steamed
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Scallions, chopped
- Smoked paprika
- Sunfood hemp seeds
- Soak the raw cashews in water overnight. If you need to speed things up, you can boil water and soak the cashews in the hot water for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to the packaging directions.
- In a medium cast iron skillet, add in 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth. Add in the onions and garlic, sauté about 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and the onions become translucent.
- In a small steamer, steam the potatoes and optional carrots until fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions and garlic, soaked cashews and the steamed vegetables to a high-speed blender along with the remaining ingredients except for the cornstarch and blend until completely smooth. Add additional vegetable broth or water if too thick or cornstarch if too thin, and blend again until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Add the noodles into the cast iron skillet (used above) and then pour over the cheese sauce. Carefully mix until all of the noodles are coated and uniform.
- You can dig in there, or you can take one more optional step: Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the mac and cheese and place it in the oven to broil until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and toasted.
- Top with hemp seeds, scallions, and smoked paprika, as desired. Serve warm.