With summer in full swing, berry desserts are definitely in season! This gluten free and plant based galette is an easy treat perfect for backyard BBQs or picnics at the park or beach. This light and delectable dessert is a healthy alternative to store-bought pie, and also makes for a tasty breakfast. With very few ingredients needed, this delightful galette will likely become a summer staple.
Pro tip: You can easily substitute the strawberries and rhubarb for any other favorite summer fruits and/or berries. We hear yellow peaches come out divine in this recipe.
Shop the Recipe
|Raw Organic Heirloom Almonds
|Fine Pink Himalayan Crystal Salt
Recipe and photos created by Paola Mcconnell.
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup cold vegan butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 Tbsp ice cold water
- ¼ tsp Pink Himalyan Sea Salt
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup rhubarb, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In your food processor or blender, mix the two types of flour, vegan butter, coconut sugar, coconut oil, and sea salt. Mix until a dough begins to form. If dough is too crumbly, slowly add 1-2 tbsp of ice cold water. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a flat surface and knead dough until a ball can be formed. If dough becomes too wet, add more flour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle parchment with a bit of flour. Place dough on the parchment paper and use your hand to shape into a circle, about ¼ inch thick. Don’t worry if the edges are a bit jagged.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the 2 tsp of coconut oil. Add the strawberries and rhubarb and cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, or until soft. Turn off the heat, and add the yacon syrup, cornstarch and vanilla. Let sit until mixture begins to thicken up (about 5 minutes).
- Pour mixture into middle of prepared dough, leaving a couple of inches around the edges. Fold the edges inward, over the outer edge of the fruit filing. Fix any torn edges with your fingers. Optional: brush the crust with olive oil before baking. Bake for 40-45 minutes on center rack. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- * This is great served with dairy free vanilla ice cream.